No matter if you are a new to travel or an expert adventurer, chances are, you have probably dreamt of a tropical vacation to a stunning destination like Costa Rica before. But choosing and planning a trip that incorporates both luxury and nature-centric experiences can be challenging. Costa Rica, with its lush rainforests, pristine beaches, exotic wildlife and incredible people is sure to be a memorable experience. Now before you pack your passport, flip flops and camera, it’s time to learn some insider tips about this beautiful nation. Here’s 5 interesting Costa Rican travel facts that may surprise you…
- The Central American nation is bordered by Nicaragua on the north and Panama on the South. It’s actually slightly smaller than Lake Michigan, yet has a massive 801 miles of coastline!
- Costa Rica is such a proud and patriotic country, that each morning every radio station plays the national anthem at 7am.
- It’s a natural wonderland! The country is actually host to more than 10% of the worlds butterflies, 750,000 species of insects and 20,000 kinds of spiders. While its landmass only makes up .03% of the earth’s surface — it has more than 5% of the entire world’s biodiversity.
- The locals have one of the highest life expectancies in the world. The Nicoya Penisula (where Casa Chameleon is located) is one of the world’s seven Blue Zones — a place with a high concentration of people over age 100, and known for locals who live happier, healthier and longer lives.
- One of the most used phrases in Costa Rica, is ‘Pura Vida’. It’s a feel-good, expression that many locals use regularly when asked how they are, or when greeting each other hello and goodbye.
We’d love to host you for a visit soon at Hotel Casa Chameleon. Pack your sense of adventure, your new Costa Rican travel facts and come experience the ‘Pura Vida’ for yourself!