A Small Country with a Huge Vision
Imagine a magical place where nature surrounds you; an alluring concentration of beauty, rainforests, beaches, landscapes, microclimates and biodiversity. One of the happiest places in the globe, and the world’s capital of hummingbirds.
This is Costa Rica. Consisting only 0.03% of the Earth’s mass, this small country proudly holds 5% of its flora and fauna. 25% of the country is composed of protected areas. Located in the heart of America, it is guided by two seas. The deep green of this dreamlike area entices those seeking for relaxation and adventure, and in its essence lies the preservation and care for the environment. Its commitment to sustainability is undeniable.
You’ll be welcomed (and amazed) by the warmth, education and authenticity of its people; they are unique, happy and caring. Costa Rica is a Nation standing in peace through a long-standing democracy. In fact, this Central American country is one of the only two countries in the world that has not had an army since the year 1949.
“Pura Vida” (pure life) is the country’s law. Locals know how to have fun, and be joyful. And so will you, when you get there.
Green, happiness, solidarity, talent, innovation, quality, biodiversity, transformation… this is Essential Costa Rica.
About Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the world’s most unique tourist destinations. The natural beauty, stunning beaches, pleasant climate and the peaceful easy going nature of Costa Ricans make the country an attractive, must see part of the world.
- Social and political stability, it’s the oldest Democracy in Latin America.
- Strategic geographic location.
- Unique natural attractions.
- Tremendous diversity in a small territory: Steaming volcanoes, mountains, rivers, Pacific and Atlantic Coast, micro climates, rain forest, cloud forest and dry forest.
- Costa Rica has nearly 5% of the world’s species of flora and fauna in 0.03% of the earth’s surface. It has a wide diversity of habitats, climates and scenery.
- Rich natural and scenic heritage is protected in a country-wide system of national parks and private reserves. It has more preserved nature than any other country.
- Unrivaled adventure activities: forest hikes, whitewater rafting, zip lining by the tree canopy and all ocean adventures like scuba diving, sea kayaking, swimming, surfing, etc.
- Natural hospitality: Survey after survey, the innate friendliness of the Costa Rican people is cited as one of our country’s greatest assets.
- Excellent medical services.
Environmental Performance Index:
- 5th in the world.
- 1st in Latin America.
- 30% of the budget is invested in education. Best educational system in Latin America, 36th worldwide, World Economic Forum, 2007-2008.
Green Costa Rica
In Costa Rica you will experience tropical ecosystems, vast vegetation, pleasant climate, topography, insects and birds. Costa Rica protects approximately 26 percent of its national territory in national parks, wildlife reserves, forest preserves and private reserves.
Costa Rica’s Biodiversity in Numbers
- Our country holds among the greatest density of species of all countries in the world. This means that on 1 trip, travelers are likely to come in contact with more biodiversity than other places.
- Costa Rica packs 4.5% of the world’s known plants and animals (90,000 species) in just .03% of the planet’s surface.
- The country is 1 of the top 20 places with more biodiversity in the world and one of the top 10 most rich rainforest ecosystems.
Race Venue: Playas del Coco, Guanacaste
With more than 400 miles of coast line, the Guanacaste tourism area comprises the Pacific Coast area from the border of Nicaragua to the Bongo River estuary in the Nicoya Peninsula. This area boasts a significant number of protected areas including water, land, mountain, and coastal ecosystems that are teaming with life.
The incomparable beauty of its landscapes, ranges from tropical dry forests to lowland mountain forests, warm climate, and flourishing nature. All along the Guanacaste coastline are a number of beaches where you can swim in their warm Pacific Ocean waters. The coastal landscape is exceptional. There is an array of white-sand beaches and calm, intense-blue waters.
There are two commercial centers located in the northern area: Liberia and Santa Cruz, which, in turn, are linked with five important tourism development centers: Papagayo, El Coco, Flamingo, Conchal, and Tamarindo. In the southern area, the commercial center is Nicoya with Samara being the development center.
The 2017 IRONMAN 70.3 Costa Rica offers 35 qualifying slots to the 2017 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Source: Ironman Official site